Advances in the field of medical and radiation oncology have offered potential cure to most solid cancers. Despite these advances, surgery is still the mainstay treatment for most cancers.
Branch of surgery that deals with cancer management is known as Surgical Oncology. They focus on surgical interventions to diagnose and stage cancer, relieve its symptoms, and to prevent its spreading or recurrence. It also focuses on surgeries to control pain, increase a patient’s comfort level, and to manage cancer-related symptoms (palliative surgeries).
The Surgical Oncology Department aims to:
- Cure or palliative care
- Improve the quality of life
- Practice evidence-based medications
- Achieve minimal morbidity and zero mortality rates
- Appropriate pre-operative preparation and postoperative care
Depending on the type of cancer, its location and size of tumor, surgical oncology offers the following services:
- Complex cancer surgeries involve surgical treatments and multidisciplinary care of rare or uncommon cancers or complex presentations.
- Laparoscopic cancer surgeries for gastric and gynecological cancers.
- Sentinel node biopsies for staging and management of breast cancers.
- Reconstructive cancer surgeries to repair the changes that occur in your body from cancer surgeries.
- Video-Assisted Thoracic Cancer Surgeries (VATS) are mainly for the effective management of thoracic cancers.
- Sphincter preserving rectal cancer surgeries and organ preservation for the management of various gastrointestinal cancers.
- Chemo port placement (Adult & Pediatric) for easy withdrawal of blood and for the administration of intravenous fluids, blood transfusions, or drugs such as chemotherapy.
- Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) - An effective palliative therapy for people with malignant ascites, or an accumulation of fluid in the abdomen.
- Organ Conservative Surgeries- An effective surgical-alternative for advanced-stage cancers providing better oncological control and minimal complications.
- Breast Oncoplasty or Oncoplastic Breast Reconstruction - A new surgical approach combining principles of cancer surgery and plastic surgery to remove cancer by maintaining the shape and symmetry of the breast.